(Makes 4 servings)
- 2/3 cup steel-cut oats (dry) or old fashioned oats
- 1-2/3 cups milk of choice (if cooking in a rice cooker) or 2 cups (if cooking in a pot)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Bring milk, vanilla extract, carrots, nutmeg and cinnamon to a boil.
- Add oats.
- Turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 15-20 min. depending on how mushy you like your oatmeal.
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Toasted, sweetened coconut flakes